Types of Massage
Everyone has different needs. They are constantly changing from day to day, due to numerous factors. Stress is one of the leading problems.
That is why I offer a variety of services at Natural Kneads Massage Therapy - to address your needs with my kneads!
Below is a list of each type of massage offered, as well as a brief description to help you make the best selection for your kneads!
A specific routine using multiple techniques, performed in the direction of the heart. This massage is designed specifically to increase the amount of oxygen in the blood and to release toxins from muscles. This is typically a massage performed with lighter pressure, but can be modified to the client's specific requests.
Reasons to get a Swedish massage:
- Stimulates and increases circulation without straining or increasing heart load
- Increases muscle tone
- Flushes tissue of lactic and uric acid, and many other wastes
Designed to work fibers in muscles, tendons, and ligaments to release deeply rooted patterns of pain. A firm-deep pressure is applied, which can cause discomfort as muscles and fascia are released.
Reasons to get a deep tissue massage:
- Lowers blood pressure
- Relieves pain from chronic pain, stiffness, or inflammation
- Helps those with Fibromyalgia
- Decreases recovery period from athletic injuries
- Treats muscle spasms
During a deep tissue massage, communication is VERY important. Most practitioners use a pain scale to help. Typically, this scale ranges from 1 to 10. 1 means no pain, and 10 means severe pain, near unconsciousness. You never experience 8-10 during a massage. Please speak up!
Trigger point therapy is a routine designed to restore affected muscles back to their natural state so that optimal health benefits can be achieved. Trigger point therapy also helps re-educate the muscles to become pain free.
Trigger point are described as sensitive areas of taught bands of skeletal muscle located within a larger muscle group. There are 2 categories of trigger points.
Active Trigger Point - causes muscular pain and refers pain in a specific pattern to other areas of the body
Latent Trigger Point - causes pain when compresses manually
Reasons to get a trigger point massage:
- If you are suffering from an injury caused by an accident
- Have poor posture
- Overuse of muscles and joints due to work or activity
- Suffering from muscle spasms
- Have Fibromyalgia
Very invigorating, relaxing massage that has been said to be more beneficial that traditional massage.
Hot stone massages typically incorporate Swedish massage into the routine, however other techniques are absolutely available upon request(i.e. deep tissue, sports massage, etc.)
Reasons to get a hot stone massage:
- Helps relieve back pain
- Improves circulation
- Eases osteoarthritis pain
- Helps with insomnia
- Calms nervous system
- Can decrease depression and anxiety
Reasons NOT to get a hot stone massage:
- Open sores
- Have high blood pressure
- Have diabetes
- Are pregnant
- Have osteoporosis
Pregnancy is a beautiful experience for the expectant mother. However, it can also be quite uncomfortable at times, especially later on in the pregnancy, experiencing headaches, lower back and abdominal pain, sciatic nerve pain, leg cramps, and swelling.
Prenatal massage is a type of massage performed to address those and various other discomforts to help ease your muscles (particularly the ones attaching to the pelvis). Prenatal massage is a great way to keep peace and balance in store for mother and child.
Reasons to get a prenatal massage:
- Restores circulation to hands and feet
- Reduces swelling of the extremities
- Relaxes tense muscles
- Sciatic nerve pressure relief
- Improves quality of sleep
- The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists recommends massage as a relaxation method
Perfect for marathon runners!!
Pre-event massage is effective up to 48 hours before the event.
Reasons to get a sports massage:
- Aids in warming up muscles before training or before the event itself
- Helps stretch muscle, stimulate blood flow, and relaxation
- Decreases occurrence of sports related injury.
- Post-event massage helps with muscle recovery
- Reduces soreness and muscle spasms
- Only lasts 10 to 15 minutes
By reducing body tension and increasing confidence, an athlete can reach their maximum potential.